Re: bizarre machine lockup

Christopher Wong wrote:
On Thursday 18 April 2002 04:33 pm, Jon Lapham wrote:

Hello-

One of my RH7.2 machines locks up when a user tries to read their
email using Mozilla (v0.9.x, I've tried them all) built-in IMAP
client.  This is a cold lockup, cannot ping the machine.  It is 100%
reproducable now, simply fire up moz, click on the "read email" icon
in moz, and it locks up.

I would try swapping the motherboard next. I went through a period where certain actions in Applixware would cause the machine to instantly reboot, as if the reset button was hit. Replacing the motherboard solved the problem. I suspect that those actions stressed the motherboard in exactly the "right" place.

Chris

Chris-

You are probably right, I will have to try swapping the MB. But it just doesn't make sense! Why would this one single action cause the lockup! Ugh. I hate computers. :)

As a stress test on the machine, I loaded up 3 simultaneous setiathome jobs, and launched OpenOffice, StarOffice, Mozilla, Netscape 6.2, gimp and a few other sundry applications. It worked fine, a little slows due to swapping, but it worked. However, click on the email icon on mozilla and... lockup.

--

 Jon Lapham