Re: up2date kernel 2.4.18-17.7X

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:07:58PM -0400, Stewart M. Ives wrote:

> I just ran up2date and picked up the following for my 7.2 server:

[ Package list snipped ]

> My previous kernel was 2.4.9-34smp
>
> This is the first time I have seen such a big jump in kernel versions as
> well as an X in the kernel version number.  I tried to boot off of the
> new kernel and it just hangs at:

> 	VFS:  Disk quotas version dquit_6.5.0 initialized
> 	pty:	2048 Unix98 ptys configured
>
> And that's it.  Hung.
>
> I have rebooted off of the previous stable 2.4.9-34smp kernel.
>
> As I have an Intel L440GX+ motherboard I have to stick w the smp kernel
> because of the onboard Adaptec SCSI controllers.
>
> Anyone have any insight into the 2.4.18-17.7X kernel?

First, please when changing subject don't just reply to a list message,
and start a new thread.

As to your question, I just upgraded my kernel to 2.4.18-17.7.x on my RH
7.3 machine. I am actually writing this e-mail on said machine. I will
test it within an hour in a RH 7.2 machine and get back with more
results.

In the error message you mention, does it actually say 'dquit' or is
that a typo for 'dquot'?

Also, it may help you narrow down the problem to know that in my dmesg
output, the message immediately after 'pty: ...' says:

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled

I.e.: Loading serial driver.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling