RE: xinetd problems (revisited)

comments are based on the contents of my RH 7.1 xinetd setup which works,
Your mileage may vary............

Kenneth Goodwin
Director of IT Operations
Datamark Technology, Inc.

Next two lines are NOT in my xinetd.conf file  , stick a # as the first character
on each of these lines to comment them out and see what happens

>>>          cps                     = 25 30
>>>          disabled                = telnet
>>> }
>>>
>>> includedir /etc/xinetd.d

>>> -----------------------
>>>

>>> Here is the file /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3:

>>> -----------------------
>>> # default: off
>>> access their mail \
>>> #              using an POP3 client such as Netscape
>>> Communicator, mutt, \
>>> #              or fetchmail.
>>> service pop3
>>> {
>>>          wait            = no
>>>          port            = 110
>>>          flags           = REUSE
>>>          socket_type     = stream
>>>          protocol        = tcp

This next line is not in my ipop3 file and if i am counting right
is the line 12 that show up in the parser error. Try sticking a #
as the first char on this line to comment it out.
Its possible that the version level of these config files is one higher level that
the program code is. Features definitions like "interface" may not exist in your
version of xinetd (next release), but they may have stuck the later config files in the
distribution by mistake. try greppin the source for "interface".

>>>          interface       = eth0
>>>          user            = root
>>>          server          = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
>>> }

>>> -----------------------
>>>
>>> Maybe someone can make some sense of these files...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Russ Hazzon

comment out the lines and restart xinetd and see what changes.

MY Files for reference - must be earlier version though so cautions applies -

# pg ipop3
# default: off
#              using an POP3 client such as Netscape Communicator, mutt, \
#              or fetchmail.
service pop3
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
        log_on_success          += USERID
        log_on_failure          += USERID
        disable                 = no
}

# cat xinetd.conf
#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/
defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Your answer lies in the differences which are due to code relesae variations
i would guess that the code base and the configuration file contenst are mismatched.
comment out the lines that are complained about, restart xinetd, and see how it goes.