Re: Creeping memory problem

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 07:42:51PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 17:35, Timothy Beck wrote:
> >
> > Nothing that I noticed. I've sat and watched it slowly creep upwards and the
> > only thing I can see it doing is adding to the cache.
>
> That's basically what's supposed to happen.  Cache should fill all
> memory that's not in use by applications.  Because it's just a cache of
> what's on disk, when applications need it, it gets freed.  Cached files
> are for all intents and purposes, available memory.
>
> > Right now, its been holding steady at 1.5 gig for the cache which is a crazy
> > amount.  With 315,000 free. I've seen that number even lower which causes my
> > slow down.

There's the possibility that this machine contains more physical RAM
than the hardware cache-ing mechanism can support. This will cause
a sudden and pronounced performance problem, which can be "cured"
by simply removing some RAM. I wouldn't expect, however, this to
be a problem on a modern high-end machine, which SHOULD be able
to cache any amount of RAM the motherboard is rated for.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex fcshome stoneham ma us -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked