New Linux platform with further setting

Just set up new Linux platform. Here's  some questions:

1. How and where to automatically create some files or directory after add a
new user ? When the new user log into server via FTP, there is some files
over there like index.htm...

2. What I should do if I want to see directories, not just "/" when new user
log into server via FTP ?

After add new user xxx at directory like /home/xxx, when log into server via
FTP by the user account and password, there is nothing there, also at top
small window, couldn't see anything exception "/".

3. Just installed Linux platform, how to change "test page " into a html
page?

Appreciate any suggestion,

HL