Re: trouble with LILO

> Hi,
>

>    I am having two hard disks. I have installed
> windows Me on my first disk & on the other disk
> RedHat-7.2. I have installed LILO on hda but I am
> unable to boot Linux, during booting LILO prints LI
> and stops.

The second stage boot loader loaded, but could not run. Either lilo is
barfing in the second stage of the process... (can't find the kernel?) or
there's a geometry problem at the bios level, but I don't think that's the
case here.

>    where should I install LILO? I cannot install Linux on
> the first disk. can you please let me know how lilo.conf
> should be modified? I don't want to use Loadlin.

You need to boot with your boot disk and get the machine running in linux.
Run lilo again, and check lilo.conf after that. If you want to use lilo to
boot both operating systems, it should be on the mbr of the primary master
disk (sd0 in scsi) so it can also boot M$.

Pretty simple, the rest of it. Lilo.conf should look something like:

boot=/dev/hdb2 #path to kernel
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
images=/boot/vmlinuz-<version>
label=linux
root=/dev/hdb2
initrd=/boot/initrd-<version>

other = /deb/hda1
  label = dos
  table = /dev/hda

HTH
--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.