Summary from yesterdays EPEL SIG meeting

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Thu Apr 5 21:19:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:35:32PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Michael E Brown wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:06:52PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >>Not sure what you mean. The thing is this:
> >>
> >>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/$releasever/
> >>gets translated to
> >>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5server/
> >>by yum. That dir doesn't exists, so we simply use "5" instead of
> >>"$releasever" in yum pointers.
> >
> >This doesnt sound like a good idea. You lose the automatic, "I upgrade
> >from RHEL5 to RHEL6 and automatically get EPEL 6 stuff".
> >
> >I would suggest simply making a symlink: "ln -s 5 5Server"
> >
> >That is what I did for the unofficial Dell yum repos.
>
> Don't forget about "5Client" too.  Not sure what else...

In any case, the number of symlinks is finite. I have 4AS, 4ES, 4WS,
4Desktop symlinks in my repo for RHEL4, and I dont consider that to be
excessive, considering the benefits of using $releasever.
--
Michael (Who had several RHEL4 upgraded machines pointing at RHEl3 repo
as well as many FC6 boxes pointing at FC4/5 repos until he discovered