Plan for tomorrows EPEL meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Apr 18 14:38:19 UTC 2007

Jeff Sheltren schrieb:
> On Apr 17, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>[...]
> - mass rebuild -- I'm all for giving maintainers a few days (maybe
> even a week?) to rebuild their packages once the build systems are
> ready with RHEL 5 final.  After that, bump the release and rebuild
> automatically for things that haven't been built.

Give packagers a chance to rebuild their own stuff was planed -- but I
targeted less than a whole week to finally start EPEL5 for real soon.
But the exact timeframe should be discussed today in the meeting.

>[...]
> - 3rd party repos -- Like I mentioned before, it is good to work with
> other repos, but I also feel that EPEL should be pushed as a
> "central" repo where all those that wish to contribute packages can
> do so.  Users do not need the extra headache of trying to coordinate
> the packages in multiple repos if it can be avoided.

I currently think we maybe should put a kind of improved version of
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-April/msg00079.html
or something in that direction into the Wiki-FAQ

> I have something else which I'm not sure has been discussed before,
> or else I am just blocking it out of my memory :)  Yesterday I had
> EPEL branches created for fortune-mod (how can you run a server
> without fortunes?), but now I realize that fortune-mod needs recode(-
> devel), which is part of FE.  I do not maintain recode, and I'm not
> sure that the person who does maintain it would like to do so for
> EPEL.  How can we proceed in cases like this so that I can import my
> package which has dependencies in FE?

See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/ContributorStatus
and the Section "Questions specific to existing Fedora contributors" on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ

If it's missing something tell me or feel free to improve the wiki yourself.

CU
thl