What I want in a chair

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 14:53:11 UTC 2007

As discussed in the last EPEL meeting we decided it was best to have a
chairperson to help EPEL get off the ground over the next 6 months.
Here's what I'm looking for in a chairperson

1) Somone who can convey a consistent EPEL message to the public,
especially when it is officially launched

2) Must be able to balance what's best for EPEL, the larger community,
3rd party repo's and the users when their needs conflict.

3) Someone who is close to the EPEL community and can put EPEL community
needs above their own

4) This person must be accountable (if they go all crazy we can always
ask the board to remove them)

5) Primarily a facilitator, when decisions cannot be made, the community
is split or opinions are not-obvious, this person can call for a vote or
simply make the decision on their own.

The idea here is that this person will be here for 6 months which, in
Fedora time, is not very long.  I have no fears about what this person
will do because A) they will be accountable and B) It's just for 6
months.  If we don't like what they've done we can remove them at that
time or, more likely, pick a different governance model.  I don't think
EPEL is mature enough to need an extremely formal government which IMHO
is perfect for a chairperson.  They can listen to what's up and people
can go to the chair with concerns they care about.

The question now is where does this leave the SIG?  Same place, we meet,
we discuss, we ultimately do the work.  It's the spirit of this
agreement that's important and I think in practice we'll find this a
very easy / beneficial situation.

   -Mike