RHN software channels & EPEL

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Aug 2 06:48:23 UTC 2007

On 02.08.2007 08:41, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Andrey KLYACHKIN wrote:
>
>> how EPEL will deal with so called software channels in RHN? E.g., RHEL4
>> has channel Red Hat Web Application Stack and it contains httpd-2.0.55
>> (which replaces standard httpd-2.0.52 from RHEL4) and
>> mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12 (there is no such package in the standard
>> RHEL4 distribution). Will EPEL packages be built without replacing
>> packages only from standard distribution or also from additional
>> software channels and Red Hat products (such as RHCS, GFS, ...)?
> These are called layered products and they won't be replaced by EPEL
> either. This is answered in the EPEL FAQ at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ

Just wondering: would it be fine for EPEL to ship for example
mysql-connector-odbc under a different name
("mysql-connector-odbc-epel")? Then we would not replace packages from
layered products, just provide something (without support) that's also
provided by a layered product (which has support).

I'd tend to answer my question from above with "yes".

CU
thl