To update or not to update...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 17:50:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 10:32 -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> That said, from observing the build reports, it seems as if a lot of
> people are pushing new upstream releases of their packages into the
> current version of EPEL (updates, not the new builds).  It doesn't seem
> that all of these updates are in harmony with the update policies.
>
> I realize that probably very few will care if I end up pushing my
> update to 4.5 and 5.0, and nothing will break; but is this the right
> thing to do?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I think you are asking the right
question.  I haven't been watching the builds for enforcement.  Do we
need to do that?  Are we going to be constantly reminding people not to
wantonly update in EPEL?

We need to resolve this before we suddenly have a broken, sodden mess
due to people following this policy differently.

- Karsten
--
        Karsten Wade              ^     Fedora Documentation Project
    quaid.fedorapeople.org        |          gpg key: AD0E0C41