Complete RHEL package lists?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 19:20:06 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Monday 27 August 2007, Kyle Gonzales wrote:
>
>> On 8/27/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Why can't we simply run a small script on one or two (RHEL5Desktop and
>>> RHEL5Server) machines somewhere that just write the informations into
>>> some files and uploads those somewhere?
>>>
>>> That way we might not provide all the data people might be interested
>>> it, but a package-list (which would be a good start) and some other
>>> stuff afaics should be possible, which is better than nothing.
>>>
>> Do you need a listing for the layered products as well, or just the
>> base/extra/supplementary RHEL channels?
>>

> I think the EPEL project needs to decide, enumerate and document the exact
> channels, derived distributions etc it attempts to be compatible with first.
> The answer to the above question would then be those channels etc.

Personally I think documenting these processes is a lot of work with
questional benefit.  It seems to me more logical to be reactive to
this.  When something comes up that is a conflict, remove / fix it in
epel.  Trying to write and maintain a script that monitors two moving
targets is bound to be buggy / hard to verify.

    -Mike