updates in builders?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 16:01:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 16:03:59 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> That's another issue. But there is one thing about them that I never
> understood: when does RH do them? Only for selected releases?

Z-stream is for Server only, critical security only, and lasts until
the third subsequent minor release. IE when 5.4 is released, the 5.1.z
stream ends.  It will be offered as a separate subscription, so you
have to opt-in (and pay).

> And BTW: I'm wondering if EPEL should just ignore them for now; sure,
> would be nice to support them, but I suspect we don't have the
> manpower nor the tools to properly support them right now. Yeah, that
> sucks, but there are bigger problems to solve first IMHO.

Well, I was saying that they could be used as a source for an update
that you need to get out between the period of say 5.2 releasing and
CentOS catching up.  You could do a "5" build using the 5.1.z stream
released package in the buildroot and place it with confidence in your
5 directory.

> > Please ping me for the next EPEL meeting as I'd like to discuss this
> > during the meeting.
>
> Sure, will do (next meeting will be next weeks Wednesday at 18:00 UTC,
> in case it matters), but maybe you can find the time to explain your
> thoughts first here on the list first over the next few days -- having
> the major thoughts shared before discussing a issue on IRC IMHO makes
> everything a whole lot easier and quicker. And mailing lists have no
> timezone problems ;-)

I'm still trying to poke folks to get public docs up regarding the
z-stream, which would make a discussion much more easily done.

--
Jesse Keating