Wishlist

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 01:16:49 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:02 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> On 11.12.2007 02:37, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > On Dec 10, 2007 4:34 PM, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> A couple of my php packages do.  I think php-Phlickr is one.  (might
> >> be the only one off hand).
> > right, and your packages should not have been built for EPEL-5 because
> > this dir doesnt exist yet.  We need that bug fixed and closed.
>
> Isn't there a workaround we could use until the bug in question gets
> fixed? I suppose it might take a while until that happens...

Yea, we could just not use /usr/share/php and just use /usr/share
instead.  Then when the bug gets fixed, everyone using EPEL would have
to update all their applications to use /usr/share/php.

It is infinitely more logical to fix the bug *now* instead of doing a
work-around for it.  As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no
reason whatsoever to just add the directory because it changes nothing
in the current environment.  If we go ahead and put in work arounds
for it first, then fix the bug, this will make the situation much
worse because it will mean everyone who uses these packages will have
to fix their code once the proper directory is in place.

There is no reason to not add the directory.  The person who made the
decision to not fix the bug in EPEL 5.0 and to delay it for 5.1 was
plain and simply wrong.