Re: BUG: clamav packages badly broken

On Saturday 29 December 2007, Dan Horák wrote:
> Florin Andrei píše v Pá 28. 12. 2007 v 19:20 -0800:
> >
> > I don't know what are the approval criteria, but the following test must
> > be passed by any package containing a daemon (service) before it's
> > released:
> >
> > A package containing a daemon (service) must successfully execute
> > "service daemon-init-script start" after the package has been installed.
> > This command must launch a working instance of the daemon, with at least
> > the basic functions enabled, the definition of "basic" depending on the
> > daemon. No configuration changes should be required for that. Examples:
> > Apache, Sendmail, Postfix, Squid.
>
> Sorry, but this is simply not true. I own 2 packages that will never
> work like that. They need a manual configuration before they can be
> started.

Agreed.  If the service cannot be made to work out of the box without any
manual configuration, so be it, but the init script should (must?) detect
the "unconfigured" situation and output an understandable message what to do
about it, possibly with a pointer to further documentation.  One example of
this approach is in the init script of the Fedora vdr package.