Plan for todays (20070704) EPEL SIG meeting

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Jul 4 09:02:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:05:03AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 04.07.2007 09:48, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > [...]
> > I am checking which package I'd like to put in EPEL and it appears that
> > some informations are lacking, that I can find easily with rpmfind (for
> > example), but I cannot for RHEL. Here is a list of things I would like
> > to do, from a non Centos/RHEL box, or from another Centos/RHEL version,
> > of course. Do you have guidance on how to do it?
>
> mock + chroot? Or install CentOS in a VM?

Indeed mock and chroot may be very usefull for testing package
functionnality and build, but it is not exactly what I am looking for.

As a side note I cannot find a mock config for centos to be used
for mock builds of epel, looking through the wiki (although they are
reference to such a thing existing, for example
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#head-f9e8c36dc22934ebff5e9c6ec537f7673e8b7a38
and I remember seeing a reference to those files on a list).

> > Keep in mind that I would
> > like something easy, (like what rpmfind provides, for example) not something
> > complicated (like download all the srpms and work out from the spec
> > files):
> >
> > * find whether a package is in RHEL or not
>
> Simply look at the CentOS dir like?
>
> http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/

It is really the same than:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/
with all the subdirectories?
(well is
http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/4/os/
the same ?)

> > * find whether a file is in RHEL or not, and in which package
> > * find whether a provides is in RHEL or not, and provided by which
> >   package
> > * find the list of files and provides of a package in RHEL
>
> I've never used rpmfind, but if it can serve you this information for
> Fedora it might be able to serve it for CentOS as well (which "aims to
> be 100% binary compatible").

Ok, this clarifies things a lot. I hadn't understood that Centos was
interchangeable for RHEL for EPEL.

--
Pat