Re: fftw advice...

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 14:17:46 Rex Dieter wrote:
> I was going to get to work on building fftw2/fftw3 for epel, and have a
> small quandry.
>
> Fedora names these fftw2/fftw.
> rpmforge currently names them fftw/fftw3.  They feel strongly about it, and
> users were angered previously at my initial attempts at implementing an
> Obsoletes/Provides migration path to fftw2/fftw.

  What is so special about fftw to name the version that is not further
developed as fftw as opposed to the version that is developed? Don't we trust
upstream to decide which is the package's name?

  OTHO version 2 and 3 are different libraries (different API) that target
more or less the same problem space, so there is not such a thing as an
upgrade path in this case. If they had different names then there would not
be such a problem. :-)

--
José Abílio