Re: EPEL, RHEL-5Server and RHEL-5Client

On 7/12/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora leemhuis info> wrote:
A real long term solution might be to have a kind of dynamic exclude
list (done by a yum-plugin with pre-generated lists maybe? no idea, just
thinking loud) that would exclude all packages depending on
python-imaging on EL5Server.

What would happen if, say, in the future RH rolls out RHEL-5YourMom
that includes a bunch of packages currently available in EPEL? Will
that mean that those of us who are reliant on those packages coming
from EPEL would suddenly lose them?

This is not a very good policy.

Actually, this is awful, since it means that unless I purchase
subscriptions to ALL RHEL channels, I will likely find that some
package is unable to install in Server due to missing dependencies.

We need a much better solution if EPEL is to remain useful and reliable.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec