Results of LinuxTag Meetings?

C.M. Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Wed Jun 13 22:21:55 UTC 2007

"CMC" == Claire Connelly <cmc at math.hmc.edu>
"AT"  == Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net>

    CMC> From last week's steering committee meeting transcript,
    CMC> it sounds like the whole repotags issue appears to be
    CMC> moving ahead, which seems like a good step forward.

    AT> You think so? After the repotag fiasco I went through a
    AT> lot of pain to strip them of, so the damage is done. Also
    AT> the issue showed the real weakness of repotags: It takes
    AT> just one non-conforming repo to kill them.

Well, based on the transcript from today's IRC meeting, I guess I
totally misread things.

    CMC> Can we look forward to better relations between EPEL and
    CMC> the other repos on other fronts as well?

    AT> I really hope so, but adding repotags to epel will not
    AT> help anymore in this - it's too late, repotags are dead
    AT> and the pain has been inflicted, in fact for me the
    AT> revival of repotags would imply the same transition pain
    AT> again.

Obviously repotags are dead, but what about other forms of
cooperation (if there are any)?

    AT> We need much higher level manifests like for example

    AT> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RepositoryCollaboration?action=recall&rev=1

I thought this document was brilliant.  Alas, it doesn't seem to
be catching on.

From the sounds of things, EPEL is going in several directions
that make it less than useful for our needs, which means that
putting any work into it is going to be a waste of my time.  Is
there another list where the rest of the repository folks (CentOS,
AT RPMS, RPM Forge, et al.) are going to get together so those of
us giving up on EPEL can keep track of what's happening between
them and maybe contribute there?

Thanks,

   Claire

  Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
  Systems Administrator                          (909) 621-8754
  Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College