Release and update procedure for EPEL

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Mar 2 12:50:32 UTC 2007

On 02.03.2007 13:36, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Once upon a time Thursday 01 March 2007, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 11:31 -0600, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>>> Wasn't Red Hat introducing something along the lines of a LAMP stack
>>> that rolls on top of RHEL?  LIke it would actually have PHP5/MySQL
>>> 5(or maybe 4.1) on top of RHEL 4.  It was a separate subscription I
>>> thought, but a valid idea.  The latest software for what is needed,
>>> and stable known-good software for the rest.
>> Yep, launched last September.  From the right-side column here:
>> https://rhstack.108.redhat.com
>> ... is this list of apps and versions:
>> HTTPD Apache 2.0.59
>> JBoss AS 4.0.5
>> MySQL 5.0.30
>> PHP 5.1.6
>> Perl 5.8.8
>> PostgreSQL 8.1.8
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Update 4
>> I suppose that makes those applications and versions not eligible to be
>> packages in EPEL?  Is eligibility decided by applications or specific
>> versions or both?  Or some other combination?
> EPEL packages are not to replace packages in RHEL  so of those  we could maybe
> include JBoss.

+1 (including the maybe)

>  though things get murky when it comes to Red Hat add on's

Exactly...

Not sure, maybe the compromise needs to be something like this:
---
EPEL Packages must not replace or conflict(¹) with Packages from it's
base (e.g. RHEL) or directly related Add-On-Packages for it, that got
released in the same timeframe as the RHEL-Release.
---

CU
thl

(¹) -- conflict in the real life meaning of conflict, not the
"Conflict:" usage in RPM (that's another discussion for later)