Re: rpms that just need a rebuild...

On 07.03.2007 07:52, Greg Swallow wrote:
Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
On 07.03.2007 07:03, Greg Swallow wrote:
[...]
But I was wondering if there is room in the plans for a "EPEL-unstable" repository (or something like that), which is just an automatic rebuild of Fedora Extras 6 packages. For instance I need ~15 php-pear-??? rpms for EL5 that I just rebuilt from the Fedora Extras 6 sources - no modifications to the spec files needed.
My 2 cent: It would IMHO make a lot more sense to have a second repo that replaces stuff from the base or installs newer versions of gtk2 in parallel to the one from the base; that would allow to ship newer version of other programs that depend on newer system library, too. But I'd say EPEL should focus on bringing up the main repo that doesn't replace stuff now before thinking about thinks like that. And the Fedora project is probably not the best place for this effort, too -- but I'm optimistic that there will soon be another project where this will be fitting in (more news to come, just be a bit patient for some weeks).
I wasn't suggesting replacing stuff in the base at all,

I know.

I just thought having more packages from Extras (all that will just rebuild without changes) available right away for EL5 would be nice, whether it is sponsored by Fedora or a 3rd party.

Ohh, okay, then I got your wrong (I thought you wanted to constantly and automatically rebuild FE6 for EPEL5).

My idea is to have most of Fedora Extras 6 packages available for EPEL5 soon. But it's not a automatic rebuild -- remember, someone has to maintain the stuff for quite some time, so we'll only build packages that have EPEL-maintainers. But I'm optimistic that with this way and a bit of co-maintainership we should be able to have most of FE6 available in EPEL5 soon.

CU
thl