Re: EPEL vs Fedora main

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:44:10PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
OK, so if we don't exist, what exactly is then our mandate here? Why
is there any traffic on this list?

I am not saying that EPEL don't exist, I am saying that it is very
new. And that we should ask more mature Fedora main for issues when
there are people in fedora with expertise on that subject.

Actually I'd argue that the average EPEL contributor is far more dedicated / knowledgeable then the average Fedora Extras contributor. This is nothing against Extras, its just that EPEL has attracted a special kind of extras contributor.
This *is* the part of the Fedora community that *cares* about RHEL and
EPEL. And there were invitations sent to various Fedora lists where
contributors were invited to join up.

The first mail on the list date from Tue, 27 Feb 2007! 11 days ago!
It would be wise to rely on Fedora support for some time.
Actually EPEL has existed for close to 7 months now. Some conversations about it took place even before that. We're not new, additionally the core SIG is extremely experienced in the Fedora workings. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/SIG
The Fedora community is really existing. And also the majority isn't
necessarily relevant. I have seen people being wrong against a
consensus because their use case was different and they had have
more experience on a subject.
If you don't trust the majority how will you get to some decision at
all? It's either a majority's call or a benevolent dictator's.

Consensus through discussion may also be an option. Currently the guidelines are not finished, the relationship between Fedora, EPEL and RHEL are not completly clear, let's not hurry on a touchy subject like fedora-usermgt. There are many more important
things to discuss about that may be less controversial.
The relationship between red hat and fedora is not completely clear. Heck, even the merge of core and extras isn't 100% clear. From what I gather fedora-usermgmt won't work in RHEL4 (from the authors words). So, IMHO, its done. There's nothing to discuss. If upstream changes it so its compatible then we can examine it at that time. But right now, we have no choice but to remove it.

   -Mike