Re: Dropping the repotag

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Axel Thimm schrieb:
On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 03:06:38PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Dag Wieers schrieb:
Please let me know when the repotag will be decided for EPEL
Please bring that up to the Fedora Packaging committee on
fedora-packaging redhat com, those guys are the ones that are
responsible for the Packaging Standard used in both EPEL and Fedora.

The offer still stands: I can forward this discussion/your mail there if
you want. But the only position in this stuff I'll take is "Let the
Packaging Committee" decide.
Does the rest of epel agree on this? Or will this be a ping pong of
responsibilities?

That's why I already asked higher Groups to clarify.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-March/msg00072.html
Thats the tricky part. Unfortunately our current governing model is still in extreme infancy. Partly because I think everyone has a different idea of who has what authority and partially because we (all of Fedora) have the ability to keep going forward and moving without these bodies. Actual enforcement powers is difficult and, AFAIK, all of our committees have very foggy powers.

Governance is extremely difficult, especially in an environment like Fedora where you can't make anyone do anything. It's also not a very attractive thing to work on. In the past stuff like this has been:

Hey, we should have a committee to do this this and this.

Response from less than .1% of the community:  Buhh, ok, whatever.

or
Response from less than .1%% of the community: It should do this this and this, NO! It should be this way! No, this way!

Then it just kind of gets forgotten about or we end up with a SIG or group and what they actually do and when is very fuzzy. Like the packaging group, do they provide guidelines for our flagship product (the Operating System?) Or for all packages in Fedora. How about the packages we create just for Fedora Infrastructure? Who says?

Long story short: I'd love the packaging committee to decide this, they know more about the consequences then I do. At the same time though we need to be prepared for them to say "This isn't our decision, your on your own."

/2 cents

   -Mike