Re: Completely OT: Remove disttag from EPEL and Fedora ... (was: Dropping the repotag)

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:32:08 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:41:51AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:54:21 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > %dist bad? How come?
> >
> > It has been beaten to death in past discussions with several
> > real-world examples.
>
> The *real-world* examples are half of Fedora and the sum of all 3rd
> party repos comprising several thousand packages outweighing by far
> the packages that still resit to disttags. So please no academic
> examples, disttags have proven extremely useful no matter what you try
> to imply.

Your reply to an old message, that has taken many hours to be delivered,
shows that it is not just me who keeps making this thread longer.

Because %dist tags are not undisputed, they have not been made mandatory.

They may be helpful for mass-updates to multiple distribution targets
(a pitfall for some packagers, unfortunately).
But they don't solve anything beyond that. They create problems for the
average non-freak packager, e.g. when tagging package releases and having
to fix something afterwards.
And they do not solve the dist-upgrade path problem, because %release
is less significant than %version. This is a known thing for many years,
even before %dist tags were invented as a form of package branding.

> > It is long ago since we've talked about forms of cooperation and
> > collaboration for the first time.
> >
> > Yet it is still not carved into stone anywhere as what cooperation exists
> > actually.
>
> Yes, because people like you resisted and still resist on any kind of
> cooperation.

How? When?

"Resist on any kind of cooperation"?

Perhaps you've learned in not so recent threads that you can drive me off
a mailing-list with personal insults when everything else doesn't help.

> The repotag costs nothing and is yet a political vehicle to signal to
> 3rd repos that EPEL is willing to cooperate.

Cooperate in what way? The packages don't relate to eachother, yet they
are compared with eachother in RPM version comparison.