Macros available in Fedora but not RHEL <= 4: Create epel-rpm-config?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Mar 20 13:11:35 UTC 2007

There are a couple of useful macros available in Fedora >=5 (maybe
even 4) due to the higher rpm version like the bcond macros and maybe
more.

If a Fedora package uses these macros then for RHEL5 there is no
problem, but it breaks on RHEL4 and RHEL3. The fast way out is to add
the macro definitions at the top of the specfile.

But this will fork specfiles for no real reason, I'd rather see
keeping the same specfile for EPEL and Fedora (unless
abi/api/stability force chosing another version for EPEL than for
Fedora).

Could we have the few macros available in Fedora but not older RHEL
releases placed in an epel-rpm-config package and have this be part of
the default build chroots? That way EPEL builds are more compatible to
conventional Fedora builds.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net