Re: branching core packages?

Steven Pritchard wrote:
It looks like perl-Archive-Tar isn't available in RHEL4, and
unfortunately I need it for perl-Module-Build.

What's the best way to get it available in EPEL?  Submit it for a
normal review?  Wait until Core and Extras are merged in CVS so I can
just request a branch?

Steve

perl-Archive-Tar in EL-4 should match the EL-5 version. The old version (from FC-3) is insufficient for several typical modern uses.

For example, spamassassin-3.1.8 ships in RHEL-4.5, but cannot provide perl-Archive-Tar in RHEL-4 so users cannot use sa-update. RHEL4 does not officially support the use of sa-update, but it seems to work if users add the requisite perl modules. It is fine if they obtain this from EPEL-4.

Copy perl-Archive-Tar from EL-5 to EPEL-4. Make sure rpmvercmp would upgrade properly from EPEL-4 to EL-5's version. It'll work out.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com