Re: ABI diff tools

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 12:30:00AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I am searching for a program that would allow to compare 2 libs or a lib
> and an application, find the binary interface differences and display
> them conveniently. Does something like that exist? I think that it would
> be very convenient to help maintaining ABI compatibility in EPEL packages.

That would be a nice tool, but how would it help EPEL? It would rather
help creating a clone of RHEL, for example CentOS and verify that the
rebuild is still providing the same ABI.

For creating such a tool the nearest you could get would be to simply
dump and sort the symbols including function signatures if available
and compare them. But C does not encode arguments to functions into
the symbols so large part of the ABI information is implicit. But at
least you would get part of the ABI to check.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net