recruiting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Nov 25 18:14:04 UTC 2007

On 23.11.2007 16:04, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2007 2:21 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I am not sure
> what the package count differences are between FC6-extras and EPEL
> EL5, but I would be it's almost half.

Well, I was curious and took a closer look. Actually I compared 5Server
+ EPEL against Fedora 8 and not FE6, which makes EPEL even look worse.
When looking at the source rpms I get this result (rough estimate which
may contain a few packages detected wrongly, but should be good enough):

$ wc -l rhel epel fedora8
 1085 rhel
  819 epel
 4803 fedora8

I ran "grep -v" over it and uploaded the list of packages that are in
Fedora but not in EPEL to:
http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.fdr/missing-in-epel

2986 packages ;-)

Some of them would be nice to have. Just took a quick look at saw for
example:

abiword, airsnort, alpine, amarok, audacious, bluefish, [...],
ipw*-firmware, [...], 527 different packages starting with perl, 69
starting with python,  [...], xfce*,  [...]

Note that a part of those 2986 packages are not interesting for EPEL;
those 31 hunspell dictionaries for example.

Cu
knurd