PHP extension in EL4

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Mon Sep 3 13:59:06 UTC 2007

I've a look to PHP and extensions in EL4.

We have a lot "PEAR" and PECL extensions in EPEL for EL5 which cannot go
to EPEL for EL4 because of very old PHP and PEAR version.

RHEL 4 users can use packages from RHWAS (Web Application Stack 1.0)
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/RHWAS/SRPMS
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/4ES/en/RHWAS/SRPMS

We found there
- php-5.1.6 (as for RHEL5)
- pear-1.4.11

CentOS 4 users can use packages from centosplus repository
We found there all RHWAS RPM and a lot of RPM from Fedora/EPEL (i've
read some changelog to verify)
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/SRPMS/

I think the packages from EPEL-5 could easily be maintain for an EPEL-4+
repository (using RHEL + RHWAS as references).

I also think it's quite strange than CentOS repository is more complete
than EPEL using only RHEL + Fedora community work...

What must we do in EPEL-4 ?
Regards