permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 26 17:42:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:05:44AM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> > What is the decision that you are looking for here, Thorsten?  A
> > statement that the Fedora spec files are just as redistributable as all
> > the rest of our source code (ie: that the spec files are GPL'd just like
> > the source?)
>
> I think the right thing to do is to make sure spec files are always such
> that they have no more restrictions than the upstream code that they build
> (even if the upstream license allows relicensing in a more strict way).
>
> In fact, I'd really like to encourage spec-files-as-public-domain.

Me too. I cannot see much value in SPEC files and 2 persons can end up
making the exact SPEC file.

What is required to make something public domain ? Is it sufficient to add
a file in a directory, or do I need to add a line on top ?

If so, I have no problem to put that information in every SPEC file.