Re: add to wishlist: rsyslog

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 03:55:59PM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Today I grabbed the latest rsyslog-1.19.6-2.fc8.src.rpm from Fedora
> Development and rebuilt it on RHEL4 32bit. Seems to work fine after very
> summary testing.
> Perhaps that should be the reference used for EPEL? Anyway, mainstream
> just released 1.19.8 today.

Does EPEL have rules about what packages EPEL packages can be based on?
I mean: should EPEL packages be based only on non-test Fedora src.rpm's?
This would mean that EPEL package for rsyslog can be released after F8
is released.

> I did notice it does not chkconfig off the syslog service after it's
> installed.

Question is what to do when adding a package (rsyslog) that in fact
obsoletes a regular RHEL5 package (sysklogd).  Personally, I would opt
for what I did: make sure installing the (rsyslog) package does not
affect anything related to regular RHEL5 packages (sysklogd) and let
the sysadmin do the config work afterwards (in this case doing two
chkconfig commands and editting two logrotate files).

P.S.
Sorry if I raise issues that are already decided in EPEL guidelines.
Feel free to point me at the relevant docs :-).

--
--    Jos Vos <jos xos nl>