Broken dependencies in EPEL - 2008-12-07

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 17:25:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:23:43 -0700, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I poked the infrastructure folks to try and make needed changes in the
> > script config and re-run it.
> >
> > It should send out a report here shortly... if it still has any issues
> > you see, could you please help us configure it correctly? I would be
> > happy to get you the current config/cron to provide patches against.
>
> It had started with a working setup (EL4 and EL5 in a single report):
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2008-April/msg00016.html
>
> Then, sometime later, the RHEL repos have been renamed and moved around
> again and again (with games like switching repo ids from upper-case to
> lower-case and vice versa), and finally the shell script has been damaged
> as an added bonus.

Actually that only seemed to have worked.  IIRC, we were missing some
repos so there are false positives there.

> I've suggested fixes for the script before based on commit diffs I've seen
> flying by on sysadmin-members list. It just needs somebody with commit
> access to fix the stuff or revert to the old working version. And that
> seems to be the problem, as the RHEL repos are hidden somewhere where it
> needs special privileges to access them. At present, the RHEL4 URLs used
> in the script are invalid. For months the report for EPEL4 has been empty
> because of that. The process is overly complicated. Mike seems to feel
> pissed as he doesn't like to spend time on it. And stahnma presumably
> doesn't have the proper permission to fully test and commit his changes.
> Right?

Yep, just needs someone with commit access.  Strange that you've never
offered to do this.  As we say in the states "Talk is cheap".  Bringing
loose complaints to this list is not even close to the right thing to do
and while I'd normally let it slide, I'm going to spell it out because you
should know better, you're an experienced valued contributor.

We have a ticketing system.  If you want something done go there.
Second, I'm the only full time person paid to work on Infrastructure 100%
of my time.  After a year of this script not working and multiple
rewrites.  I've taken a calculated decision not to work on it.  It sort of
works, it emails people, etc.  I've got 6 months of back log to work on of
stuff that volunteers just won't do.  Just like this script for some
reason, there's some stuff that people don't step up and say "I'll take
responsibility for this and see it through to conclusion"

> Rather than spending hours on irc learning about any infrastructure secrets
> and getting confirmation that some stuff is being locked down,
> how about posting a verified (!) list of RHEL/EPEL repository URLs?

And thus the problem, you've become a complainer.  Think real hard about
what you're trying to accomplish.  Then ask yourself how the above
attitude will actually accomplish that.  You've asked for the list (not
that it will be helpful to you) so I've included it.

	-Mike