Broken dependencies in EPEL - 2008-12-07

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:31:38 UTC 2008

While I certainly can respect either point of view here, I will reply
with my take, and not throw any flames anywhere (I hope).

A while back , I tried to add some features to the shell script that
ran the repo closure of EPEL.  I wanted to be able to test running it
without emailing people, and be able to break out architectures and
stuff.  I don't remember why I couldn't quite do that with the old
one.  Either way, I submitted a basically new script to control that.

After that, the yum repo URLs changed, we added productivity and of
course massive rebuilds of the infrastructure.

I tried to fix things when I had time, albeit not much time.  I took
Michael's advice on some things when I had the chance and consolidated
6 emails back to one.

The biggest problem for me was the ability to test.  The publictest
boxes couldn't send mail, and couldn't see all the repos for yum (I
think).  Either way , that stuff appears to be relatively fixed now.

It's probably not worth being too upset about it.  Please realize
we're donating time to this cause for the most part.  I'm sorry that
not all of my patches and fixes were working/good/perfect, but alas we
live on.

I really wish I did have access to commit to this and fully test it,
but that requires a commitment I can't give much of the time, and
don't deserve.  I am grateful to those who have helped, and I am sure
they will continue to do an awesome job.

stahnma