epel task force?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Feb 13 06:29:40 UTC 2008

On 13.02.2008 06:23, Michael Stahnke wrote:
> Why does this task force have to wait until EPEL 6?

Maybe my wording was unclear, but I didn't mean to wait for EPEL 6. In
fact I'd like to see this group soon, to make sure it works by RHEL 6 ;-)

> We need something to get the rest of the packages into EPEL.

Just my 2 cent, but I'd say getting the "rest of the packages" into EPEL
is the totally wrong target -- EPEL packages IMHO need to have proper
maintainers that take care of their packages. We have that now, but if
we start to let a "epel task force" group of say 10 or 20 packagers(¹)
comaintain the "rest of the Fedora packages" (about 2500 - 3000 now
IIRC) in EPEL then I think the quality will drop significantly.

IOW: better to grow a bit slower, but maintain a decent quality

Of course nobody is stopping anybody to slowly start with testing the
"epel task force" concept with smaller targets -- like getting the "rest
of the perl packages" into EPEL. This is what some people do already
afaics, but we don't call those people "epel perl task force" yet ;-)

CU
knurd

(¹) I doubt that we find so many