New Zenoss RPMs

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Fri Feb 29 18:53:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, February 29, 2008 12:00 pm, epel-devel-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:22:57 +0100
> From: Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>
> Subject: [SPAM] Re: New Zenoss RPMs
> To: epel-devel-list at redhat.com

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:19:04AM +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I figured out the Python issue - the general way something gets
>>> into EPEL is through Fedora review process first - and since Python 2.4
>>> is
>>> not shipped in a supported release of Fedora, that may be difficult.
>>>
>>> Is that what the deal is?
>>>
>>> Does EPEL have a second path in for these scenarios?
>> Read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/DistTag (pay special
>> attention
>> to the "conditionals" part) and use it to differentiate among systems
>> during build time. Just BuildRequire and use  python-2.4 where it is
>> available and python-compat-2.4 in the rest.
>
> Is there a python-compat-2.4 somewhere in fedora and RHEL?
>
> --
> Pat

I don't think there is any such thing as python-compat-2.4.  If a program
is designed to be used with python 2.5 and uses features of 2.5, you have
to run it on 2.5.  In some cases, I've heard of "import from future"
statements, but I've never seen them used.

If the program is built for 2.4, it should run on 2.5.  The only issues I
have encountered are related to ElementTree which is a 2.5 module but
separate package in 2.4.

Stan Klein