autoinheritance [ was: same package used in EL-4 and EL-5]

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Jul 30 21:21:45 UTC 2008

On 07/30/2008 11:09 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 22:55 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
>> FWIW, in Fedora, Rawhide auto-inherits builds from earlier repos, but only if
>> there have been no builds with the tag Rawhide points to[...]but it is in let's
>> say dist-f9-updates-testing, it will be automatically copied to
>> Rawhide.
>>

> Close.  Things in -testing don't get inherited.  Only things in dist-foo
> and dist-foo-updates

Let's see if I got it right, and please do correct me where I am wrong.

Auto-inheritance assumes that the package was never released for
rawhide, hence it does not apply to _new_ packages, which by default
should start by being pushed to rawhide, right [1] ? Therefore basically
this  inheritance applies only when branching for a new fedora release.
Am I right here ?

[1]: the case described by Ville would be:
- have a new package reviewed and approved,
- request a - say - F9 branch (beside the default one for devel),
- build and push to F9-updates (I have assumed here that the packager
really knows what he does and is sure about the stability, compatibility
of the new packag etc)
Does auto-inheritance kick in here at this moment and " magically " copy
it to devel so you get two-for-one for free ? Until today I have thought
that this process happens only when composing for the new release.