sponsorship from RH ?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:30:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> Issues w/ CentOS should be reported to CentOS.
>> Issues w/ EPEL should be reported to redhat.
>>

> ** NOT DIRECTED AT Gilboa **
>
> This comment bugs me to my very core since RedHat has had so little to
> do with EPEL.  I'm proud of this fact but it frustrates me not as a RH
> employee but as someone that was a Fedora volunteer before I was hired at
> RH.  EPEL's steering comittee and much of the work that came to make it a

The big issue with the confusion is that Fedora's bugzilla is Red
Hat's bugzilla. So if I want to push an EPEL bug I report to "redhat".
If I want to report a fedora bug.. I report to "redhat". This is one
area where Red Hat's brand squashes Fedora's brand in people's minds.
Squashes it dead. People will equate EPEL == Red Hat for many
reasons.. but that is the one that stands out in my mind the most.
(next to epel-devel-list at redhat.com versus fedoraproject.org or some
such thing).

> reality and what it is today was done not by RH but by volunteers.  EPEL
> is a team, they get support from Fedora, who gets support from RH sure.
> Even the RH employees that were and are involved do a lot of it in their
> free time. But EPEL is a team of people and even though it's young, i'ts a
> mature organization that can and does deal with its own issues.
>
>        -Mike

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux