portaudio in EL-5?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Oct 15 13:23:23 UTC 2008

I don't know if this is fixed in the branch for EL-5 - but the fedora
portaudio RPMs obsolete ESD which causes problems because gnome links
against ESD.

RPM doesn't handle it well - it blindly removes ESD and installs
portaudio leaving gnome broken due to lack of shared libraries.

Any EL5 build of port audio must not package the /usr/bin/esd
compatibility script and must not obsolete ESD. Then it installs just
fine, I've done it.