Re: Need to move Monday meeting

On 13.09.2008 19:30, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:42:22 +0200
fedora leemhuis info (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
On 13.09.2008 17:57, Jon Stanley wrote:
On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis
<fedora leemhuis info> wrote:
I'd much prefer to ship the newer libs or those 'core' apps in
question in parallel to the packages from EL. That was discussed
for speex (a newer one than the one in EL5 is needed by recent
asterisk versions iirc) and might solve the problems.
Me too, except I foresee one problem with this.  Joe User enables
the EPEL repo, and is ignorant of the fact that it now includes
updates to packages included in base RHEL. [...]
No, that's not what I meant ;-)
Sorry, should have been more clear in my mail. With "in parallel to
the packages from EL" I meant: EL continues to ship for example speex
as speex-1.0.5-4.el5_1.1, and we ship speex 1.2 as "speex12-1.2-4" or something with its contents in a special path. Of cause all apps in
EPEL that need that speex then need special treatment to look in that
special path for speex.

Yeah, although even that can be difficult if there are things that are
not parallel installable easily, and filtering deps could be tricky
there as well in case the two packages provide some of the same
things. ;(

Yeah, I didn't say it was easy ;-) But I'd say in the end it's might be much less work then creating "layered" repo for specific things. And I suppose it'll be easier to use for our users as well then layered repos in EL and/or EPEL.

CU
knurd