pexepct is in RHEL and should be dropped from EPEL

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Jan 23 10:59:25 UTC 2009

Robert Scheck wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> This is nice and all but EPEL is compatable with RHEL, not the other way
>> around.  We, unfortunately, have a one way relationship with RHEL.  They
>> decide what goes into RHEL, not us.  It would be nice to have more open
>> communcation about these things (I hope that is coming in the future) but
>> still, they can decide whatever they want to.
>
> I am not willing to see e.g. duplicity on RHEL < 5.2 broken.
>
> In fact, duplicity is used by RHEL 4 and 5 customers and in the past there
> have been several e-mails from Red Hat supporters (or whoever these guys
> working at Red Hat are) claiming if something has broken at their customers
> machines. I don't want to see breakage again as we can avoid it here by not
> dropping the package.
>
> And I ever thought, EPEL is meant to be stable and reliable to Enterprise
> customers (even if it isn't supported by Red Hat). If we now really go and
> break things, we're getting just another fscked up repository out there...

Does this go to branching for minor RHEL releases? If so, I think the
topic was raised before and considered to be way too much work for the
small group of people that make up EPEL's core-maintenance team.

Regardless, I'd volunteer to help out with branching, maintaining,
checking EPEL package lists against RHEL X.Y package lists, and so
forth. All I do now is maintain a few packages.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip