Moin in EPEL

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat Jun 20 14:52:54 UTC 2009

pe, 2009-06-19 kello 13:11 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen kirjoitti:
> I had looked at this a while ago. My strategy looked to be to create a
> moin15, moin16 etc that would replace the older versions (moin-1.5
> etc) since upgrades from 1.5 to 1.8 were uhm painful (I know I did it
> a couple of times).

This sounds like a good idea, but it would mean more work for us (which
isn't a reason to dismiss it, but it might take considerably more
time...)

Were you planning on backporting security patches for 1.5 or just
releasing the current package as moin15? We could probably take the
F-9/F-10 moin 1.6 package and import it directly as moin16, I've
backported some security patches to it and I know of no security issues
in the package currently. The 1.8 package in F-11 should "just work" as
well. I'm not sure if there's a need for a moin17 package, Fedora never
had moin 1.7 and the differences between 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8 are AFAIK
somewhat smaller then the jump from 1.5 to 1.6.

Even though I'm maintaining almost 10 packages in Fedora, I have to
admit that I've never had to set up a situation where one package would
override another. I know it probably needs an obsoletes/provides kind of
thing, but I would really appreciate some help with doing that, as well
as with the CVS component creation and whatnot.

I could take moin16 and moin18 if we decide to go this route, because
I'll have to support moin 1.6 for six months in F-10 anyway and moin 1.8
probably for a year for F-11. But especially if you think moin15 should
receive security fixes, then I'd rather have someone else take care of
it, to be honest.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio