[Spacewalk-devel] Re: Fedora EPEL Package Build Report 2009-03-01

Sending to epel-devel and spacewalk-devel to share this info:

Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
buildsys fedoraproject org wrote:

NEW rhnpush-0.4.5-1.el5 : Package uploader for the Red Hat Network Satellite Server

Are you sure you want this in EPEL? IIRC this would conflict if a EPEL user tries to install RHN satellite.

Rahul

Hello Rahul:

Looks like it got in as part of bug#485007. From what I read this is to add spacewalk support to fedora and centos.

This is not first package which we put into Epel. There is already dozen of others.

Since the open sourcing RHN Satellite as Spacewalk we said that Spacewalk want to be part of Fedora. And we are slowly fulfilling this wish. You can see the progress on:
 https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/GettingPackagesIntoFedora
Every package which pass the review is built into F-10, devel, EL-4, EL-5.

Unless something will change we will continue in this. If you disagree or have questions ask on spacewalk-devel redhat com
Back to your question:
>IIRC this would conflict if a EPEL user tries to install RHN satellite.
One of the basic requirements for RHN Satellite is to have only @base installed. Nothing more. If you enable epel repo for RHN Satellite, I'm sure bad things will happen. For example in epel is package perl-Class-MethodMaker-2.08-4.el5, but RHN Satellite (5.2.0-) expects perl-Class-MethodMaker-1.x and monitoring will not work with 2.x version of this packages.

I'm sure few others conflict can be found. So Epel and RHN Satellite really do not likes each other.

--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Satellite Engineering, Red Hat