New git in EPEL?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Oct 27 06:56:22 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Michael Stahnke <mastahnke at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > After some discussion in IRC (Fedora-admin) we are wondering if
> > pushing a new git in EPEL is a good idea.  There are some changes such
> > as git-command vs git command.  So there could be some breakage.
> >
> > Should we push a new git and cause some breakage or stick with
> > old-n-busted?
> >
> > My thoughts are to push out a new one, since I think if you are using
> > git, you curse everytime you touch this old crusty thing :)
>
> I personally would say yes.  While scripts may break, the repositories
> will be fine.

If "git command" vs "git-command" is the only incompatibility, it should be
trivial to provide the latter in the package with tiny wrapper scripts or even
just one that parses $0 and add symlink to it for each needed command, or
install that script multiple times with different names and hardlink them if
wanted, or... (see for example rpmdev-md5, rpmdev-sha* and friends in
rpmdevtools).