"newer packages"

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 21:06:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Mike McGrath (mmcgrath at redhat.com) said:
> > Should we have a stronger effort to replace older RHEL packages if we put
> > them in their own namespace and don't conflict?
> >
> > This is sort of a nuanced problem since RHEL5 doesn't feel nearly as old
> > as RHEL4 did at this point in it's release cycle.  But still, people do
> > want newer versions of these packages.
>
> This seems like a good way to fracture the platform to me; sure, someone
> may want a new MySQL, in isolation, but I'm not sure it really helps from
> a long term-standpoint if other EPEL packages would then have to worry about
> working with 3 versions of MySQL.

I don't disagree with that but the postgresql server RHEL5 ships with is
pretty unusable if you have even modest size databases.  Rsync3 has some
major performance improvements, etc, etc.

Assuming there's packages this just won't work with and setting them
aside.  I guess it's a matter of ROI.  Will it be worth it and would
enough people use it.

	-Mike