Re: "newer packages"

On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:04 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:16:58PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

This would be a totally seperate 'epel-bleeding' or
'epel-newer-versions' repo?

If we did this, we would be best served with an entirely new
brand/name.

Hello all,

I find it interesting that this thread come up like this, as I have just launched a project that fits this requirement exactly (or almost exactly). Please check out the IUS Community Project:

	http://iuscommunity.org

Different from EPEL and RPM Fusion, packages from IUS _explicitly_ do replace existing packages in RHEL. There is an inherent risk in doing so, as well as following the upstream stable sources rather than back porting... however it serves a very specific audience... people that absolutely need the latest versions of software to run their application.

I haven't added PostGreSQL yet but it is on the list. Maybe I'll get to that today. Regardless, please check out the project and see what the existing package list is here:

	http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/

Looking for any feedback you might have.

---
derks

Aside from the challenges of Eh-pull/Ee-pull and acronyms in general,
there is also a brand expectation around EPEL.

EPEL is the stable, stolid, same-old-you-can-rely-upon moving at the
pace of RHEL itself.

An exciting, new, updated parallel/conflicting package set should have
a new name and identity.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41