"newer packages"

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Sep 13 00:35:31 UTC 2009

Wil Cooley wrote:

> I support this idea; there are a handful of packages that are important
> to me which have had updates (some with considerable bug fixes) but the
> enterprise-development policy of not following upstream updates leaves
> me with the choice of running without the updates or rolling my own,
> both of which are less than ideal.

Prime example -

totem in stock rhel/centos 5 is fairly old.
The totem-gstreamer plugin that builds for it simply does not work with
recent versions of firefox.

Thus for a browser plugin, we are left with xine-plugin or
mplayer-plugin, neither of which support the fluendo codecs.

Without the fluendo codec pack, many wmv files just don't work.