excludepkgs not working with epel

Hello,
	I'm running CentOS 5.3 and have epel listed as one of my 3rd party
repos. One of the packages that i've customized for my environment which is
a vps is pure-ftpd. I do not want pure-ftpd to be fetched from epel or any
repo, so i've added:

excludepkgs=pure-ftpd*

to epel's repository definition. On the next yum update the excludepkgs is
not honored and yum atempts to download pure-ftpd again. Is there some
syntax i missed?
Thanks.
Dave.