Re: EPEL built against RHEL or CentOS?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net> wrote:
> Is EPEL built against RHEL or CentOS?  I thought it was built against
> RHEL.  The reason I ask is that the response to the BZ about memcached
> and libevent is that memcached will be rebuilt after CentOS updates to
> their copy of RHEL 5.5.

EPEL is built against RHEL binaries. In the past, we have waited for
CentOS to catch up before renewing the buildroots as the majority of
users and developers building locally were using CentOS versus RHEL.
And we also have the difficulty that when we rebuild/update against
RHEL-5.x+1 that sometimes people with CentOS-5.x are broke until they
get x+1 also. [And vice versa... but since thats not changing, it
seemed we used to err on the larger number of downloads.]

Paul L asked me what he should do with the memcached update and I told
him that we normally wait before doing an update of the buildroots.
However it would seem I remembered incorrectly and we update to newer
roots sooner now. Since we have 5.5 buildroots, he can update and I
will let him know.

So if anyone is at fault here, it is me.. so please direct all fewmets my way.