Add cost=1100 in epel.repo?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 24 10:23:02 UTC 2010

As RHEL-6 ships some packages for particular architectures only (e.g.
perl-Perl-Critic and a bunch of its dependencies are not included in the
ppc64 release), we have built clones of the RHEL-6 packages in EPEL-6 to
satisfy dependencies of packages that need them.

This then leads to the possibility of EL-6 users on architectures where
these packages *are* included getting the EPEL packages rather than the
RHEL packages. This could be avoided if we added a cost (> 1000) to the
EPEL repo in epel-release, such that yum would always pull packages from
RHEL rather than EPEL where the "same" package existed in both.

Any reason why this shouldn't be done?

Paul.