Re: Fedora Electronics Lab through EPEL question

On 08/24/2010 05:41 PM, Robert Peruzzi wrote:
Manuel Wolfshant,
Thank you for responding.  From your answer:

All packages in Fedora (and EPEL) install the binaries and the man pages
in the same way. IF a package provides a runable binary it will be in
your $PATH; if it has manpages, they will be below $MANPATH.

I can only assume that the installations failed even though the messages said "completed". I did not install them as a private user.
This should not happen.. And I have never heard of anyone reporting such a problem. However if a problem really exists, it should be tracked down, reported via bugzilla.redhat.com and fixed.

 I executed "yum install alliance" (and the other tools too) as root.
Correct

After installation, every tool file is owned by root
This is probably normal. Very few packages leave files installed as another user; most of those who do that (for instance sendmail, apache ) rely on a different user for security reasons.

and none of the files are executable.
For a reason which I do not know, alliance installs all the binaries below /usr/lib/alliance/bin ( or - I presume - lib64 on 64bit systems). This path is out of the normal user $PATH so this is why you do not have the binaries in your normal $PATH

The man files are all gzipped.
This is the default for all manpages in RHEL.

Attempts to reinstall result in a message that the tool is already installed.
This is normal

I will try your suggestion and use rpm -ql and repoquery -l
rpm -ql OR repoquery -l. They are functionally equivalent

to see if there's some clue as to how I should proceed but my gut feeling is these commands will leave me still clueless.

Any ideas on what I did wrong or what steps were omitted from the installation procedure?

I do not think that you omitted anything. The package maintainer decided to not install the binaries in the normal location.

PS: please trim the messages you reply to and include only the relevant parts. Thank you

   Manuel
Thanks,
Bob P.

Message: 2